This Page

has been moved to new address

A most ungeeky thing

Geek in media is no more... long live Geeky.ly

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Geek in Media: A most ungeeky thing

Wednesday, 20 July 2011

A most ungeeky thing

Ok let's face it; most of us don;t exercise half as much as we should. In fact, the most exercise I get is lugging heavy equipment around when travelling, walking to the train station and dancing when I'm drunk.

My old flat had a gym in it, one I had to walk past when entering or leaving no less. Did I use it once the year I was living there? Did I hell.

But my new place (which is awesome by the way) has a well equipped, quiet and tidy gym with discrete windows meaning no onlookers peering mocklingly at your attempt. So my flatmate and I decided to give it a bash.

now lets just say, I have very little by way of sporty gear. In fact I looked like a douche. Skater T-shirt, white Umbro above the knee shorts (more suited for sleeping in than begin seen in public) and Vans. But there was no riotous laughter nor looks of scorn. First night I did a fierce half an hour on the bikes and another 20 mins on the resistance machine.

Being a smoker, drinker and serial fast food junkie I thought I'd be a sweaty, sore mess after that amount of time. But it seems I handled it well. The next morning There was little or no soreness (owing to the half an hour of cooldown stretches) so we decided to go again last night.

This time the first half hour was spent on the bikes but my dear readers I actually had a run on the treadmills. 5 mins walking 5 mins running of course then back on the resistance machines and more stretches. As we were alone in there I even did a little mirror combat in the corner and practiced a few things from the myriad of martial arts classes I've had over the years.

A tiny bit tender today but I feel great; which got me thinking. Mainstream media has talked a lot about concerns over endorphin release leading addiction to gaming with a lot of evidence supporting and rebutting the theory; (personally I agree with it) I noticed the same high I felt when I completed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for the first time. A supreme powerful euphoria and a feeling that you can do anything would be the only way I could describe it.

Perhaps it speaks to my addictive personality (one of the main reason I don't do drugs despite having no moral objection to most) but all I can think of is getting back in there. gone from 0 to hooked. What makes it worse is that I have a specific goal in mind at the end of it which adds my neurotic need to complete tasks to the mix.

Perhaps this is the end of chubby Trey? Still early doors but I can't remember any time in my life where I have enjoyed exercise more.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home